links
awards
help

Sponsors

Forums Europe Slovenia Login

patrickbyrSlovenia 3 Key things to know when moving to Ljubljana
Posted: 2009-11-09 08:04:36, Edited: 2009-11-09 08:07:14

3 Key things to know when moving to Ljubljana

Ljubljana is a lovely city to live in but it isnít paradise. Here I look at a few of the problems you may encounter when starting a new life in Slovenia. I feel it is worth being prepared for them and perhaps me sharing the lessons I have learnt on the way.

1.Registering

Anyone who lives in Slovenia for longer then three months is required by law to register in those three months. Registering is worth doing as soon as possible, as after receiving your personal number you can do other things like open a bank account, get a tax number required for work and register as unemployed. Be aware that this process can be a long a tedious one. If at all possible bring a Slovene friend along; it will make things go faster.

To find out more information on registering in Ljubljana go to http://www.upravneenote.gov.si/ljubljana/

2 Getting a apartment

Youíll need to find somewhere to live in Slovenia. Nepremicnine is a great search engine site that is also available in English. Two key things to remember here are:
Adverts can be deceiving- you may find advertisements for two room apartments thinking that means two bedrooms, however you may find yourself with a bedroom and a toilet. Itís worth asking some simple question before arranging a viewing to save a wasted journey.

Be prepared to be turned away for being foreign- I donít think there is any other word but racism for it. So many times when searching for a apartment my Slovene Girl friend made the call and when I turned up with here at the viewing all of a sudden they decided they didnít need any one to live there! This usually happens with old landlords or ladies and to be honest there is not much you can do. Younger landlords or Landlords who have travelled themselves are usually ok.
For advertisements for accommodation in Slovenia go to www.nepremicnine.net

Your not a tourist any more

Ljubljana is a lovely relaxed place to spend a summer, however Ljubljana is a capital city and now you are coming here to live. Donít expect to live how you have lived here while on holiday. When I first came here, I loved the relaxed environment of drinking coffee going for strolls. If you have decided to live in Ljubljana and want to make a life here and youíre not Bill Gates, youíll need to get a job like any other place in the world and live within a budget. This can be a hard transition from holidaying in a place and living in a place.

Moving house is supposed to be one of the most stressful experiences in life. If this is true moving to any different country is a difficult process and should not be underestimated. The first few months will be hard work but it gets easier, and eventually youíll find yourself established enough to sit back and say with a smile ďIím here, Iím a LjubljanenĒ

Peace
Patrick Byrne

For more information on Ljubljana please Visit:

www.inyourpocket.si

Copyright © 2009 World Travel Tips